Finished objects six to ten

It’s been ages since I posted my first five finished objects, and I’ve completed quite a few more since then. I didn’t really do much knitting in the months running up to my final exams, but hopefully now they’re over I’ll get back into it. This post starts with two of my overall favourite projects, so it was particularly fun to reflect on them.

Green Rosalind scarf

This scarf (designed by Alice Bell) is the reason I started knitting. A project combining science with knitting, named after Rosalind Franklin? Sign me up! When you look at it straight-on it just looks like a stripy scarf, but the DNA spiral is revealed when you look at it from an angle – this is called illusion knitting. It only uses knit and purl stitch so is easy even for beginners and it’s very satisfying to see the pattern emerging as you progress. The most important thing is keeping track of the row you’re on, which you can double-check by counting the stripes. I did make a couple of mistakes, but they aren’t too noticeable. If I make another one of these, which I probably will, I’ll make it a bit longer and also see if I can prevent it curling so much at the edges, because it took ages to block. Alternatively, I could learn to be a bit more patient. (I can’t remember what yarn I used to make this, but it was double knit and acrylic.)

Tea cosy

This teapot belonged to my Grannie and came with me when I left home for university. At first I used a tea cosy that looked a lot like this one, but I wanted to try knitting one. However, due to the teapot’s unusual shape I couldn’t find a pattern that worked, so I decided to make up one of my own. I did a bit of measuring and used double pointed needles to create it as one seamless piece. I used a basic rib pattern for the main body of it, then decreased stitches to create the flat top. I accommodated the knob on top of the lid by stopping the decreases for a couple of rows, then restarting the decreases to finish off. It doesn’t look particularly polished, but it does its job and I’m actually quite proud of how I put it together all by myself. The yarn is Cygnet Seriously Chunky in the colour “Candyfloss”, which also made an appearance in my last post.

 Orange hat

The yarn I used for this project, Robin Super Chunky in the colour “Marigold”, was a somewhat misguided purchase. I’d intended to use it for a pair of socks for someone, but when it arrived I realised it was a paler orange than I’d expected and I honestly wasn’t too keen. It was still perfectly good yarn though, so I used it to make this simple hat instead, combining the instructions from here and here. I was aiming to make a child-sized hat, but it ended up being adult-sized, as you can see from the picture on the right. According to my Ravelry notes, it was “a nightmare to finish”, but I can’t remember that at all so it can’t have been too bad. Gordon actually quite liked this hat, but I sent it off to Knit for Peace because I have another pattern in mind for him. Hopefully someone out there likes pale orange!

Diagonal rib scarf

This was another Knit for Peace project, again using “Candyfloss”. Not much I say about it, except that I really like the diagonal rib pattern, which I found in this book that my mum passed onto me.

Purple lattice scarf

And another Knit for Peace project using a stitch from the Harmony Guide! This one didn’t work as well – the lattice pattern isn’t as pronounced as I would have liked – but it was still okay. I can’t recall what yarn I used, but it was chunky and acrylic. (Side note: most of the yarn I’ve used and have in my stash is acrylic because (1) I’m cheap and (2) I don’t want to donate items that are going to be itchy or difficult to clean.)

Here’s my Ravelry profile again – feel free to add me if you don’t mind me nosing through your projects!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *